Thursday, 19 February 2026

Chiku

 


It’s been a couple of years since I last wrote for this blog.

I casually checked a few short posts I had written earlier. One small note for Luna  (my beloved, heavenly-aboded cat) made me return to writing this.

So much has changed since May 2023.

I still think of Luna, but now in a more peaceful and lighter way, rather than in a sad and heavy way. Grief has softened. It no longer sits on my chest; it lingers quietly somewhere in memory.

After she was gone, I kept feeling as though I was searching for a cat again not consciously, but somewhere in my heart. My life was seeking that companionship.

And then, another cat found his way to my home.

It was a rainy evening in August 2024. A tiny kitten came running and took shelter under a car near our house. Dogs were running around, and he was frightened. He darted back and forth on the street, unsure where safety was.

My mother noticed him and asked a neighbour to help. Eventually, we brought the kitten home.

That was the day I met the most handsome little male cat - my Chiku.

He was barely 20–25 days old. Ill. Scared. Shy. Ready to attack if anyone came too close. It took me several hours to make sure he felt safe. I remember sitting patiently, speaking softly, just allowing him to adjust.

Since then, Chiku has been my constant companion.

Now he is a full-grown adult cat - naughty, playful, full of personality. He runs through the house as if he owns it. Sometimes he stares at me in a way that feels strangely knowing.

Luna will always be a part of me.

But Chiku is here, in the present - alive, mischievous, demanding attention, asking to be played with.

And perhaps that is how life works.

It doesn’t replace what we lose.

It quietly sends something new to sit beside us.

No comments:

Post a Comment